Data Engineer, Business Intelligence
At Factual we love all things data! Our mission is to organize and optimize the world’s location information. As a BI Data Engineer, you will have the opportunity to shape and influence the direction of our products and propel the growth of our business. You will collaborate with software engineers and business operations teams to design schemas, import (ETL) processes, establish proper indexing or data warehousing approaches to power insights and analytics. You will be designing metrics, aggregations, and sampling techniques from our massive data repositories to help answer critical business questions that will guide product and investment decisions.
You are passionate about using your programming, data wrangling, and analytical expertise to drive product and business decisions. You are an excellent communicator that will provide thought leadership on metrics, features, and products to teams across the company. You have strong engineering experience and enjoy working in a rapidly changing environment. And most of all: you ship.
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with a range of stakeholders and team members to understand and finalize their business requirements for reporting and data aggregations
- Design, develop and maintain analytical databases based on business requirements
- Design, develop and test ETL, and ELT data workflows from a variety of big and small data sources.
- Perform hands on implementation and maintenance of production ETL processes.
- Write and tune SQL and other types of queries to support internal customer requests
- Support ad-hoc data analysis requests
- Audit quality and repair data from data sources for accuracy
What we’re looking for:
- 4+ years of industry experience maintaining production data warehouse and ETL pipelines and using data analytics to solve business problems
- Understanding of database structure, design, theories and principles
- Experience with Grafana, ELK, or Solr
- Expertise with at least one of Python, Scala, or Java
- Experience with Spark or MapReduce is a plus
- Willingness and ability to wrangle messy data
- Degree in Computer Science preferred
- Experience working independently solving a variety of business problems.
- Good communication skills.
- Deep knowledge and hands-on experience with SQL is an absolute must.